Thursday, June 3, 2010

leave| return (video)

This work for me, didn't really begin with me having a solid idea about what I wanted it to be about- there was no narrative that I was working with, nor was there a clear idea which I was choosing to explore. The meaning behind this work only became clear to me towards the end of my editing process, and even more specifically, hours before I had to come up with a title for it in order for me to hand it in to my professor. As I sat in the computer lab, watching the video over and over again incessantly, I waited for the piece to speak to me, like I always do, and provide me with some inspiration for a title. It took me many hours of repeated viewings of it before I realised what it is truly about. It became evident that in lieu of my graduating and leaving my second home and second family, I was making a piece about moving on and leaving the past behind, but still finding peace at being able to return to the memories and images of the past. Hence, the title 'leave|return'. This is a first for me- creating a camera dance and working with a video camera in this fashion- but I am thoroughly proud of what I've accomplished within the span of a couple of weeks. Anyone out there who's watching this, I hope you enjoy it and please feel free to comment and provide me with some feedback. I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: