Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Sedimentarians

So I met with Michael for 2 hours yesterday and we had such a fun time discussing activities for me to do over the summer of 2008. I've decided that I'm going to audition for a scholarship for the American Dance Festival (ADF) and hopefully I'll be able to get at least some kind of scholarship so I don't have to burden my parents too much with paying for tuition and everything else, which all amounts to approximately $3000. It's way too much of an amount to pay without some sort of financial aid. And I'm planning to attend the Susna Marshall summer intensive, if it falls some time before ADF, that is. I am so excited about my plans and I really hope things go well. I'll be going alone and not going to lie, I am pretty apprehensive and nervous about that. But I need to grow up and suck it up and just do what I have to do.

Michael also mentioned me costume designing for his Danstage piece and I am definitely up for the challenge. He has so many great ideas and I would really like to get the opportunity to collaborate with him on this level. And I'm going to have to search and source for some techno music for his piece as well. I love how he's giving me the chance to not just dance in his piece, but to be a part of the whole creative process as well. And I love this about art- all art forms are so interrelated with one another and I honestly believe that they are interdependent of each other; one art form cannot do without another's influence to some extent. I am ALL about parallels being drawn between all schools of thought. The parallel that I am finding the most fascinating lately is the connection between Psychology and Dance. The MInd vs. Body debate never made so much sense to me till lately, when I've actually discovered an answer for myself. After a whole semester of searching and being in a perpetual state of confusion, I have decided that my views lie with the side of the debate that states that the mind and the body are one. And so I'm definitely a Materialist, who asserts the synonymity of the mind and the body. Oh god, reading back through my 220 journal just reminds me of how absolutely lost and just how much ambiguity was in my life at that point in time. But it's such a great chronology displaying how much I have learnt about myself over the course of the semester and just how many answers I have managed to come up with for myself. I am so proud of myself! I will continue to journal and keep my mind active with regards to all the talk on Dance and Psychology and improvisation. I love all this debate and discussion.

No comments: