Thursday, May 8, 2008

I Want To Dance In The Grass

As Jesse so aptly put, dance is vastly different from other theatrical art forms because of the simple fact that we may tell stories, but in such an array of ways. We merely provide images that may provoke the sensory recall in an audience member's mind that allows him to create a story of his own. And in this manner, dance is definitely not an artform that is purely exclusive to the dancer. Evidently, the interpretation comes from the viewer and he is as involved in its creation and execution as the dancer/choreographer is. Unfortunately, I thik oftentimes, we as dancers fail to keep that in mind and we dance simply because we feel the ambiguous need to and out of joy and love. Which, of course, are as beautiful of reasons as any other.

So, our composition class staged a happening today. I finally got a chance to take part in one. We danced in a patch of grass, during which I had a revelation of character- I found out that I was a horse. All this was thought through, of course, prior to it being performed. We buried a man in mulch, neighed, sung, screamed, rolled about in the dirt, assaulted. It was such a release. I had all this pent up anger and stress from this being the penultimate week of school that I desperately needed to let go off and this really did it for me. I want t dance in the grass and make a dance of people eating dirt and grass and chwing on petals of flowers. So why do I love dance? Because of the simple fact that it can be done anytime, anywhere. And even the most basic, pedestrian movements can find their way into the most intricate and detailed choreography. I constantly ask myself such a question. I dont want to be a dancer who dances just, 'cause. I have my reasons and I'll share them gradually as I start to discover myself more as a dancer, a performer, a choreographer, an artist.

No comments: