Thursday, June 12, 2008

100 Degrees Fahrenheit

My entries over the next few weeks are going to revolve more around dance than anthing else. So here I am, thawing my body in North Carolina at the American Dance Festival. Things have been extremely hectic lately and classes only began yesterday, despite my being here for a week already. There's so much going on, I can't keep up. My favourite thing I've done so far is attend the performance by the Shen Weid Dance Academy. The dancers are absolutely fabulous and they move so swiftly through space, like the hairs of a Chinese calligraphy brush. As they moved with such ease, they were painting strokes of various colours all over the white canvas for a floor. And the end product was a beautiful masterpiece that conveyed movement, memory and individuality. The company then sells sections of this original piece after each performance. How I would love to move with such grace and ease. But that's what I'm here for, to absorb all the knowledge that each professor has to impart on all of us. So basically, I'll hopefully, after the festival is done, learn to move like Trisha Brown, a Shen Wei dancer and Butoh artists.

No comments: